
Here is the pattern for how I make a baby kimono, it is actually significantly different from Habitual's pattern that got me started. I like to do the sleeves separate because then I can fit it on a smaller piece of fabric. This pattern also gives you long sleeves rather than short, uses extra ties and uses all bias tape rather than hemming
For a newborn the dimensions are:
A - 4.5 B - 5 C - 9.5 D - 13 E - 2.75 F - 8 G - 7
For 0-3 months
A - 5 B - 6 C - 10 D - 14 E - 3 F - 8.5 G - 7.5
For 3-6 months
A - 5.5 B - 7 C - 11 D - 15 E - 3.5 F - 9.5 G - 8
Other sizes may come later.
You also need about 3 yards (one package) of bias tape and 8 (or 12) 10" pieces of ribbon or whatever you want to use for ties. I like ribbon because it isn't too bulky when tied, comes in lots of colors and the ends are easy to finish.
First sew the sleeves onto the body pieces, I also topstitch the seam so it lays towards the sleeves.

Now put the back right side up and put the left side right side down and pin the ties on top of the two layers. I line the top one up with the corner of the front flap or about 1" under the armpit and then 4" below that on a NB sized kimono on the next size up you may want to do 3 ties along each side though 2 might be sufficient. Now sew the two pieces of fabric together along the edges of the sleeve and down the side.

Now we sew on the other side but this time pin the ties in the same position between the two layers.

Turn right side out. You will want to clip the seam at the inside of the armpits so it lays nicer.

Now the kimono is sewn together and we just have to add the binding. First pin ties along the edge of each flap.

I just use bias tape that I buy at the fabric store but it is possible to make your own if you are feeling adventurous. I start the bias at the middle of the bottom edge holding open with the end folded over and the smaller half of the binding lined up with the edge of the right side of the fabric. Then sew in the fold indicated by the white headed pin.
Here is a video that shows how to sew on binding in more depth.

Keeping going all along the edge of the kimono, and over lap the starting edge then cut off the extra. Now fold the bias tape over the edge of the kimono and using a medium zigzag stitch in matching or contrasting thread along the edge of the bias that you just sewed down. It should catch the back of the bias tape. I fold the ribbon over as I zigzag over it.

Do the same to the sleeves, careful not to sew the two sides of the sleeve together and you are done. I usually start sewing the binding on the underside of the sleeve.

This one is for a friend having a little baby boy in December. I bought this fabric to use in the quilt I made for him and I liked it so much I had to get extra but I had trouble figuring out what to use it for.
Tutorial not for commercial use. Feel free to link to the tutorial or repost with a link to this original post.
2 comments:
Hi. The measurements on the pattern are in cm or inches
Inches
Post a Comment