Tuesday, January 27

Camera Case

IMG_7075
This is my first improvised felted projected. Through a little research I found that in general, when felted, wool shrinks to 60 percent of the original height and 80 percent of the original width. So I used a little math and made this case. 
finished dimensions are 3.5" x 5" not counting the flap. 
Before felting dimensions: a strip 4.5" x 18"  approximately
Yarn: super bulky 100% wool (Joann's sensations Licorice)
Needles size 15

Cast on 12 stitches
Knit in stockinette for 17" 
Decrease at the end of each row until you have 6 stitches
BO

Felt: I hand felted this because it was so small. 
I alternated (swishing gently): 
hot water with dishwashing detergent until the water wasn't hot
cold water rinse

Then when it was the right size (3.5" wide) I gently pressed the water out and let it dry overnight.
In the morning I used some black wool yarn to blanket stitch the edges and then sewed on the button and cut the button hole

IMG_7071 IMG_7070

To make a case of any dimension first decide how big you want it to be
In my case 3.5" wide,  4.5" tall plus a decent sized flap.
So for this I need a strip (after felting) 3.5" wide and 12" tall (4.5" + 4.5" + 3" for flap)

To determine my pre-felting dimensions I divided the width by 0.8 and the height by 0.6. 
(of course you can get more accurate numbers by felting a test swatch since yarns can felt differently. But I am lazy so I did it this way and waited to sew it up until after I felted it.)

Back to division:
3.5/0.8 = 4.375
12/0.6 = 20

So I need to knit up a piece that is about 4.375, I rounded this to 4.5" and 20" long

I knitted up a swatch to test gauge and got about 3 stitches per inch. So I cast on 12 (some how my test swatch is always tighter than the finished project so I cast on 12 instead of 14) and then knitted until the entire piece was 20".

You would then felt it until the width was correct

Clear as mud?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that's a great case! I've wanted to try knitting/crocheting with the felting yarn . . . so far nothing :)

Chelsea said...

Give it a try, it is great. Felting hides all of the little mistakes. One of my favorites is the "Pink Lady Bag" pattern. Quick and easy to knit up and makes a very cute purse.