Knit Picks Options Interchangeable Circular NeedlesAvailable sizes
Size not marked on needles.
Available tip sizes:
US 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 13, 15, 17
Available cord lengths:
24", 32", 40", 47", and 60"
Average retail price
$3.99 for two cables, four end caps, and torque key
$3.99 to $6.99 for needle tips depending on needle size
$59.99 for kit with sizes 4-11 two 34" cables with end caps and two 32" cables with end caps, comes in a zippered pouch.
So far I have the kit, + sizes 13, 15, and 17, as well as an additional 40" cable. You can buy the set or just buy the sizes you use. I am a fairly new knitter and so far I have used almost all of the sizes so I am glad I got the set. I have not tried any of the other kits so I do not know how they compare but I do prefer my set to the tangled mishmash of circular/straight needles I used previously which include a large variety of brands, materials, quality and state of repair.
Tips:
Hollow nickel plated brass, nice and lightweight. The tips are very pointy which is great for k2tog, lace work and other finicky stitches. I did have some trouble catching individual fibers of the yarn with the tip but once I got used to them it wasn't so much of a problem. They are very slick which is great most of the time. When trying out a new stitch it can be a bit tricky but on the whole the yarn just slides right off the tip. You will likely want to get a tip sizer because the sizes are not marked on the tips but the sizer I got was only $3 and also is a tool for checking gauge and has been quite handy so far.
Joins:
I have had no issues with the joins. All of the threads have gone together nicely and if I use the tightening tool, or after I lost them both, use a safety pin or paperclip I have not had any issues with the tips coming unscrewed. The join is also nice and smooth and I have had no issues with the yarn catching.
Cords: The cords are very flexible and thin and seem to have little to no memory. I don't have a lot else to say about them but no complaints either. One downside is that they do not offer cables shorter than 24". But with just the set you can do the double circular knit in the round method by using the next smaller size tip for your left hand needles. You also can't join cables together to make a long cable as some sets do but this is not a problem unless you need a cable longer than 60". The cables come in sets of two of each length and with the included caps you can turn the cables into longer "straight" needles. I haven't run into a project where that was desirable myself but it can be done. The caps can also be used to keep a project on the cable when you need that size needles for another project.
Case:
Before I got these I read a few complaints about the cases. Because I bought the set I have the zippered pouch (otherwise you have the option to buy inserts for a 3-ring binder) and it has worked very well for me. It is quite compact and holds all of my needles plus whatever accessories I might need. I like being able to take all my needles with me on a trip, especially if I am just starting a project and am not sure what needles I want for gauge. My one complaint is that it isn't terribly fun so I am thinking about making myself a case but I will probably copy the design of the pouch because it has worked well for me.
Conclusion:
I highly recommend these needles. However if you do not like sharp points or slicker needles these may not before you. You will also need to by separate non-interchangeable needles for sizes smaller than 4. I don't like small needles myself but apparently some people do.
No comments:
Post a Comment