Wednesday, January 14

What to do?

Well I finally have Layden's hat done, and it is too big. It actually fits on me but doesn't look nearly as cute as it does on him. It was as huge pain to make however because of the yarn I used. Lion Brand Homespun. It is soft, it is warm, it was a cheap thriftstore find, it is a pain in the a$$ to work with. I was constantly catching stray strands with my needles. To be fair my needles are some of the pointiest out there (knitpicks options) but still, not fun.
IMG_6819 IMG_6815
My next project I think is going to be a shawl. A danish tie shawl like this one. I still haven't decided what yarn to use though. I plan on using the shawl for around the house, combine that with Clara's near constant spitting up I want something I can stick in the washer so, sadly, I can't use the nice handspun yarn it calls for (I also can't spin and can't afford handspun yarn). So commercial yarn will have to do. So the contenders: on the left we have Carron Simply soft yarn, 100% acrylic but very nice and soft. On the right we have multistrand cotton/acrylic yarns from Life's an Expedition. The Expedition yarn was originally meant for a scarf but now I am torn. I plan on doing narrow stripes with either.

IMG_6812 or
  IMG_6806  
Click to enlarge
I also just ordered some yarn to knit up some slippers for Oli and myself. Unfortunately I can't really start on any of these until I finish my thesis and graduate. The paper needs to be done by Tuesday and the presentation by the 23rd. I really should be doing that right now.

4 comments:

susan said...

the hat is too cute...well look at it this way, he will have the hat for a looooooooooooooooong time!
i love that shawl and am always on the lookout for something like this to wear around the house
wear is the pattern from? do you think a newbie knitter could do it?

Chelsea said...

The pattern is here:
http://www.lustauffarben.de/faerben-strickanleitungen-englisch.html
I got str 11.
I think a newbie could do it easily. It is garter stitch with YO increases. Very simple.

lifesanexpedition said...

LOVE the shawl design!

I am surfing the net to see what people are saying about me and just found this post. Thank you so much for the mention and for liking my yarn! Did you end up making the shawl out of it?--dj runnels, Life's an Expedition (I moved most of my inventory to Etsy and Artfire.)

Chelsea said...

I started it but decided that I had the wrong size needles so it got ripped and I haven't gotten back to it. I did use a few of your yarns in a scrappy scarf I just finished but I haven't posted about yet.