Saturday, February 28

Knitting roll and pouch.

Yesterday I finally got around to making myself a needle roll for my Options needle set. It fits my needles from size 17 through 4 and all of my cables. I am really please with how it turned out except that I had to fold over a bit of the top to hold the needles in and then I had to move the ties so they were in the middle again. That was a pain because before I turned it I trimmed the seams to just 1/8" but I just hand stitched it closed before I machine topstitched and that worked pretty well. Then I made myself a zippered pouch for everything else. Apparently my math skills are slipping because it ended up twice as tall as I had planned but otherwise I am quite pleased. I used this tutorial for a lined zippered boxy pouch by Jane. My other zippered attempts have generally not ended so well. I think I will be making more of these for whatever I can convince myself I need one for. The pouch is 4" x 7" and 4" deep the needle roll is about 5" x 13". 
Needle Roll
Knitting notions tote bag
Needle Roll    Needle Roll
In case any one is curious cut list:
Zippered pouch:
2 lining and 2 exterior pieces 10" x 12"
1 zipper atleast 12", mine was longer and I trimmed it
I should have made it 8" x 10"

Roll:
Exterior 7" x 13.5"
Lining 7" x 13.5"
Needle pocket 8" x 13.5"
Front pocket 7" x 13.5"
thin cotton batting 7"x 13.5"
Twill tape ~20"
The pieces for the pockets were folded in half lengthwise. First I sewed the individual pockets for the taller needle pockets onto the lining piece and then I sewed the smaller pocket on top of that.
The spacing for the needles is (right to left in my roll):
.5" x 3 
.75" x 3
1" x 2
1.25" x 2
1" x 4
The spacing for the shorter pockets is
3.75", 3.25", 3.25", 2"
Then I placed the pockets right side up on the batting, I put the twill tape 2.5" up from the bottom on one side (folded in half with the fold just sticking out of the right side). Then I sewed around all of the layers, leaving a 2.5" hole to turn through. 
I topstitched with the smallest zig-zag all around the edge. Then I folded over the top 1" of the roll to hold in the needles. I sewed up along each edge of the roll, and along the fold to keep it folded down. Then I sewed through all of the layers from top to bottom along the separation between the bottom pockets to hold down the top fold even better. Make any sense at all? This tutorial will give you a good idea of what I did.

No comments: