Wednesday, March 11

Baby Quilts

Last night's class went well. I had 5 students, which was a very good number for one teacher. 4 had never knitted before and a couple of those 4 were crocheters, I also had one left-handed student. By the end they had all cast on 20+ stitches and had gotten a few rows of knitting in. It actually was not any more difficult teaching a lefty than us "normal" folk. That could be merely due to the aptitude of the student rather than my skills as an instructor, she caught on very fast. Three of them used the needles I had made and took them home to practice on. The somewhat rough wood is actually fairly nice for beginners, the stitches definitely do not "jump" off the needle. I also sent them home with balls of thrift store acrylic yarn to get in some practice. I think next week we will get started on a basic garter stitch washcloth (YO and K2Tog) and from there we will learn to purl and then there was some interest in making a felted purse.
Here is one of the three baby quilts I hope to get finished this week or at least get quilted and get the binding machine sewn on. They are just your basic chinese coin quilts, with three vertical stacks of coins. Maybe I will get a full quilt shot tomorrow.

Baby quilt #1

No comments: