Sunday, April 26

Nest Ironing board

DIY ironing board

Today I finally got my act together and made myself an ironing board. I rarely iron clothes or anything that requires a traditionally shaped ironing board so the narrow end is more of a nuisance than a help. You can buy ironing board extenders but they are ridiculously more expensive, so I have made myself something much more suitable. The idea for this comes from my mom and my aunt, however, they have theirs rigged to go on top of a traditional ironing board. Since I do not have room to put an ironing board anywhere near an outlet I have mine resting on top of the kids dresser. The upside is that it is nice and sturdy so I have no concerns about Clara or Layden knocking it down on top of themselves. I can also store the cord behind the dresser so little hands can't pull an iron down on their head.

I took a 2'x4' piece of plywood. I believe you can buy plywood in this size at the lumber yard but we have tons of plywood left overs sitting around our shop and I got lucky and found one that was already 2'x4'. It looks to be 3/4" thick, which is maybe a bit thicker than it needs to be. Then I covered it with a piece of felt and then a piece of poly batting, heat resistant batting like you can buy for pot holders would probably be more appropriate but I didn't have any of that laying about. So far the felt/batting seems to work just fine. Then I covered it with some quilting cotton, folded the fabric around the back with the raw edges folded under, stretched and stapled. Voila! This is a great use for the yard of Nest fabric that I got but have not been able to use because it is just too big of a print for quilting. Now I can iron a whole fat quarter at once and the board is wider than a standard 44" piece of fabric, this is so exciting!

IMG_8257

No comments: