Friday, August 21

Hip bag

Hip bag
I have been meaning to make a hip bag for a while now and with classes starting next week and my free time disappearing I have been motivated to get things done. If you are wondering whether a hip bag is really just a fancy name for a fanny pack, yes, yes it is but it is also much cooler than a fanny pack and if I call it a hip bag I don't have to use the word "fanny". Mine is 5.5" wide, 5" tall and about 1" deep at the top.
Hip bag
It has a pocket under the flap that is just big enough for credit cards/ID and I made a little pocket inside to just fit my cell phone so it would be easy find. This way I am actually able to find it and answer it before it stops ringing. It just barely fits my cell phone wallet and keys, making it a good replacement for pockets when I am not wearing jeans. However, I think I would make it just a little bit bigger in the future.
The exterior is some black woven wool I have had sitting around forever that added some fusible interfacing to. The inside is quilter's weight cotton with majong tiles. I didn't use any interfacing for the lining but I did for the pockets. The straps are some scavenged 1" polypropylene webbing with a side release buckle.
Hip bag
My hip bag was inspired by the Hipshack by Maytreeark on Etsy, hers, of course, look much nicer. So if you want one but don't feel like making it yourself, you know where to look. I only had enough strapping for it to go around my waist, hers are made adjustable to go over the shoulder as well.

No comments: