Tuesday, March 3

Duct Tape Double

If this wardrobe refashioning challenge is to be at all successful a dress form will be a must. It is very difficult to get clothes to fit correctly when one must measure one's self. It is even more difficult when your figure varies much from the average and you have a horrible spacial sense. I am a bit top heavy shall we say. After announcing that I was about to be wrapped in duct tape by my husband I did receive one (possibly jokingly :) ) concerned email. Well, have no fear, my skin has not been ripped off. After less than two rolls of duct tape, two old t-shirts and a LOT of batting scraps later, I have a dress form. Total cost, $12. Having a dress form just my size, priceless.
Duct Tape Chelsea
It took us just about two hours, with some interruptions, to get me all wrapped up an get it marked and cut off. Finishing it off, capping the sleeves/neck, stuffing it and fitting the bottom took another couple hours or so. We both thought that it would work great to fill her up with expanding foam insulation but we had some difficulties finding the right kind. I had all of that batting just lying around anyway after my aunt gave me a closet full of batting scraps. I used up about 3/4 of it, which was nice, what is left is a much more manageable amount. Layden kept asking "what are you doing?" and when Clara woke up she was not impressed that I was physically incapable of cuddling her.
It is a bit weird to see myself from the outside so to speak, but it wasn't too horrifying. I haven't been moved to crash diet and run a mile a day, though the motivation would have been nice. I also did not realize I was quite so lopsided...

No comments: