Tuesday, November 22

Ghost, Mummy, Yukata, Advent and Upholstery.

What I have been up to but haven't time to blog about:

Halloween costumes:
A mummy and a ghost. The ghost is wearing a basic white long sleeve tunic dress with a square of gauze draped over her. The mummy has a basic muslin tunic, muslin pants and wrapped with strips of muslin which were hot glued in place (probably should have used more glue or tacked it on with thread...).

Advent Calendar:


First fold 24 origami boxes and lids. I used 9" squares for the lids and 8.5" squares for the bottoms and the boxes ended up just over 3" wide and about 1.5" tall. Then number them as you will. I printed the numbers on a sheet of paper then cut them out with a decorative punch. Cover some sort of board (this one is about 17" x 24") with fabric of your choice (I used foam core board) . Then hot glue the box bottoms to the board. Fill with treats or activities (1, 2, 3, 4) and hang on the wall.
Other fun advent calendars: 34 ideas

Reupholstered Chair:

The first of two is finally finished and when I have a spare minute with nothing better to do (or nothing better that I feel like doing) I will finish the second. This started out with ratty old yellowing velvet. So while this isn't perfect it is an improvement. I used invisible thread to do the tufting and I used a hot glue gun to make and attach the piping. I am thinking I need to find a marker or some such to touch up the finish.

Kimono:

I made kimono (Yakuta) style robes for myself (this fabric) and my daughter. Unfortunately she insisted she was a crocodile so this is not the best picture. They were quite simple to sew once I had the dimensions figured out, made entirely out of rectangles. I can draw up a diagram with dimensions if anyone is interested. I used these tutorials as a guide (1, 2) but did not use their dimensions. It makes a very comfortable bathrobe. 

No comments: