Tuesday, March 31

A new shawl and bee hive

Coffee dyed shawl
I am home again after visiting the in laws and with the little man and Oli still at his parents' I was able to get my shawl finished off. I would have like to have finished it while we were visiting but unfortunately I chose not to grab the second ball of yarn. I used this pattern and I used up two skeins, ending up at about 88 rows. It is made with Berocco's Ultra Alpaca Light I bought it white and then dyed it using coffee. This is a nice small shawl and feels lovely and toasty on my shoulders. Perhaps I will get Oli to take a pic when he gets home of it "in action" I am still deciding on the best way to wear it. It is just big enough to tie in front and wrap around the shoulders or sit a bit higher and wrap more like a scarf. The pattern was quite easy and fairly mindless. Raveled. I have plans to try something similar but I think I will simply use a larger set of needles rather than dropping a yarn over in every other row. First though I really should finish my slippers. The first only has a few more rows but then I still have the second to do and the library will be wanting their book back eventually. They are the striped socks from Knit one, Felt too.
Bee hive
This was not made by me but rather by Oli but I wanted to share it because it turned out so well. It is a bee hive he made for his mom who plans on starting bee keeping this spring. It is made out of cedar, the roof comes off and then there are bars that span the hive that the combs with hang down from. There is also a divider to adjust the amount of room the bees have to work with. The window lets you see what the bees are up to and has a detachable cover to give the bees some privacy and keep them warmer in the winter.

No comments: