Friday, March 27

Vegetarian Burritos

As vegetarians we are frequently asked "But what do you eat?" The answer is very simple, everything except meat, or meat byproducts (ie gelatin). We do eat milk products and eggs at this point however. A traveling meat salesman when informed that we were vegetarian inquired whether we "at least" ate "sides". Sides, it turns out, are chicken and fish, since those are animals, no we do not eat "sides" either. When asked for an example meal once I listed burritos among others and recieved the response "So you don't put meat in your burritos?" No, no we do not. This is the latest incarnation of our home made meat free burritos.

Vegetarian burritos

Ingredients:
Tortillas - my sister makes her own and they are delicious but I am rarely that motivated so mine are store bought.
Beans - I made my own, recipe below
Rice - made this up as well, recipe below
Cheddar cheese - pepperjack could also be tasty.
Sour cream - "optional" topping
Salsa - I made my own of this as well
Avocado

Beans
Ingredients:
1 can beans (these were pinto but most beans should work pretty well) - drained
1 can chopped chilis or jalapeno if you like spicy
Cumin, coriander, cayenne and chili powder to taste
1 tb oil/butter
Heat all ingredients up in a pan and mash to desire consitency

Salsa (I stole this idea from my sister)
Ingredients:
1 can mexican stewed tomatoes - drain but save the juice and dice
~ 1/4 cup finely diced onions, I used the bottom bits of some green onions but my sister used yellow onions and that was tasty too
cilantro to taste (~1 tsp)
Other spices you like in salsa
~1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
chopped spicy pepper if you like spicier

Rice
Ingredients:
1 cup rice
1 cup water
juice from mexican tomatoes (1.5 cups liquid total)
cumin, coriander and chilipowder.
sauteed onions/bellpepper, optional
oil/butter
Put water/juice and rice into a sauce pan, cover and bring to a boil, turn down to low and simmer for 10 min. turn off heat and let sit for 5 min. mix in spices and onions/bell pepper, add oil/butter and sautee until it looks good.

Now you just have to put it all together. I put the beans, then rice then cheese into the burrito (the order is not important). Then I like to turn the oven on to about 350, put the finished burritos in a casserole pan and put them in the oven for 20-30 min to melt the cheese and toast the tortillas a little. This isn't necessary or you can fry the burritos in a pan, also tasty. I also like to put a wet paper towel over my tortillas and microwave them for a min or so to soften them up so they wrap nicer.

This recipe (as with most of my recipes) is in a constant state of change. Any suggestions for improving it are greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

susan said...

these look so yummy. i will be trying these soon, beans and rice and all. my niece is married to a mexican and she keeps telling me how to make mexican rice, but i never seem to make it. this will be my impetus
i always giggle when people ask if you eat fish or chicken when you tell them you dont eat meat. do they consider red meat and pork, the only "meat"?? if so, what are chicken and fish...oh wait dont tell me...sides!lol
how long have you been veg?

Chelsea said...

Well this is by no means "mexican" rice it is just rice that was pretty easy to make and tasted not too bad :). Real mexican rice is probably better.
Oli (my husband) has been vegetarian for years and we never really cooked meat at home. I only recently decided I was vegetarian as well.

Rebecca said...

I also like to add some lemon or lime juice to the salsa. As you know, sweet potatoes are my favorite burrito ingredient, but some really well cooked carrots are a close second. Perhaps not so traditional, but the cook up nicely with some curry.