Saturday, April 10

Boxy Pouches: Tutorials, Sizes, Tips

This post is meant to serve as an easy one stop reference for making the ever popular boxy pouch. I am including links to a number of tutorials and if you think I should include others please let me know. I am also including a explanation for making a custom pouch size and some examples of sizes I have made and the size fabric I used to make them.

Tutorials
Vera Jean - one piece, fully lined
Pretty Modern - fully lined
Drago[knit]fly - partially lined, with handle
Indie House - partially lined
Projects by Jane - Fully lined
Projects by Jane - Pleats
Annie - Fully lined
Lizze Tish - French seams

Custom size - To make any size pouch just follow these easy steps.

Choose your size length (zipper) x width x depth. [For example 4"x3"x.5" for a change purse.]

cut fabric:
length + depth + seam allowance x 2 [4+.5+(2x.25) = 5"]
by
width + depth + seam allowance x 2 [3+.5+(2x.25) = 4"]

buy zipper the length of your fabric, or preferably a couple inches longer.

For for this example cut your fabric 5" x 4" and use a zipper at least 7" long.

Some examples

Pencil Case - two rectangles 5 x 11" to 6 x 12"

IMG_0341

Toiletry bag - two rectangles 8.5 x 13" to 10.5 x 16"

Toiletry bag for mum

Medium pouch - two rectangles 7 x 10" to 10 x 12"

Knitting notions tote bag

Small pouch - two rectangles 5 x 7" to 6 x 8"

IMG_0344

IMG_0377

Small Duffle - two rectangles 16 x 22"

New Duffle for Layden

Tips
I like using a fairly heavy interfacing for both my outer fabric and lining because it gives it nice shape and makes it easier to work with. It also helps to prevent raveling if you leave any raw edges showing and seems to help prevent fabric from getting jammed in the zipper. My current favorite is a heavy weight interfacing meant for tailoring from Pellon.

A wide twill tape is handy for adding a quick tab at either end of the zipper, which makes zipping and unzipping much easier.

Zipper foots are very nice for getting the fabric sewn close to the zipper, many swear by them, I don't use one myself.

No comments: